Wednesday 13 June 2012

Sweet & Sour Morrisons Saver Range


Let’s face it, at 27p for a jar of sauce, expectations were low.

Having already slated Morrison’s Chicken and vegetable Curry ‘Saver’ and knowing a half decent sauce should set me back nearer the £2 mark, I was prepared to be disappointed again . . .

 . . . How wrong was I? It was lovely.

Being used to the take-away culture in the past, this jarred concoction was every bit as good as dare I say, the real thing.

To this end I made a meal of it, literally. Price £4.28 for four people, total, not each.
Morrison’s ‘Saver’ Chicken legs (6) for £2.51.
Morrison’s Sweet & Sour Sauce £0.27p’
Egg Fried Rice from Iceland (the supermarket, not the country) £1.50.

Now the chicken alone is good value but it is bone-in and can be fiddly to cut the meat off although I will admit to cheating, I skinned and boiled the chicken for an hour in a large saucepan, when cool the meat just pulls off the bone.

Using the same but rinsed pan and a drop of oil, I browned off the chicken a little before adding the sauce, it saves on washing up, But I did have to use another pan for the rice, pity.

The boiled chicken in my opinion retains moisture and has a better taste that just pan fried, plus it stays soft to the bite. The end result was very pleasing indeed and I shall stock up on this sauce as a regular weekly meal. The jars have just over a year shelf life.



The opinions expressed are mine alone . . . Morrison’s don’t pay me but product donations are acceptable (hint Morrisons)

No comments:

Post a Comment