Wednesday 30 May 2012

Gammon Shank

As a rule I would normal walk past the reduced meat section in a supermarket, in my eyes these pieces are either just about to go out of date, are the last of the stock, or just plain ugly.

Today was different, a gammon shank, was £1.99 and now reduced to £1.19 and I picked it up, it was heavy. As an ex butcher I knew half of this was bone, a shank is of course the tapering end of a leg. I bought it.

The instructions were simple, simmer in water for an hour plus twenty minutes. Today was a hot day and so I cooked it at lunch time for a salad based tea tonight.

When cooked and cooled I set about it with a sharp knife, it was expectantly fiddly but I managed to get just under a kilo of meat from a two kilo joint, and as it was gammon it had a good strong flavor.

I'll stop more often at the reduced section now.

Supermarket: Morrisons


No comments:

Post a Comment